First day of Summer and it’s a scorcher! Are you all staying cool and hydrated?
I’m loving the heat and the pretty Summer dresses you ladies are wearing. My job (the Makeup one) has me dressed in black from head to toe everyday. (Boo!) So I’m kicking it up a notch with my Summer brights in accessories and makeup whenever possible.
I’ve read plenty of tweets and blogs about heat-busting makeup tricks and tips. Mine are pretty simple:
1) Don’t skip moisturizer (or your skin could produce more oil to compensate for feeling dry). You may have to adjust your moisturizer if you’re skin type (dry, combination, oily) and condition (dehydrated, rosacea, blemished) has been affected by the change in climate.
2) Use a Primer under your makeup to keep your skin fresh and hold the makeup on longer. I love Laura Mercier’s Oil Free Foundation Primer (which also comes in Regular or Hydrating as your skin’s needs require) or the new NARS Pore Refining Pro Primer which is also Oil Free and more gel-like in texture $38.00 Check out his Pro Prime Eyeshadow Primer too!
“This oil-free primer instantly refines the look of pores, regulates shine and mattifies the skin to create an immaculate canvas. Mineral powders manage oil in the T-zone and other shine-prone areas while blurring the look of pores, fine lines and wrinkles, setting the stage for a velvety-matte, makeup-ready finish. Ultra light and cool to the touch, this gel formula keeps a reservoir of water on tap, helping skin stay fresh and hydrated throughout the day, while makeup stays fresh and vibrant for hours on end. This primer works particularly well with skins concerned with controlling oil and shine.”
- Pure lentil seed extract diminishes the appearance of dilated pores over time for a more refined appearance
- Natural bisabolol and butterbur root extract calm and soothe the skin
- Vitamins A, C and E help protect the skin from free-radical damage
- Oil free. Alcohol free. Non-Comedogenic. Dermatologist tested
3) Skip heavy foundation and concealer and go for a light fresher Tinted Moisturizer or BB Cream – as most have the added benefit of SPF 20 upwards. Again, you all know I’m a fan of Laura Mercier’s line, but I’ve also loved NARS’ Immaculate Complexion (base) products too–and his new Pure Radiant re-mineralizing Tinted Moisturizer which comes in 9 glorious shades $49.00. However, less expensive brands like Joe Fresh Beauty’s Sheer Tint Foundation (that I reviewed in my last post) isn’t too bad at all for just $12.00 and I’ve been hearing lots of good stuff about Marcelle BB Cream Beauty Balm $22.95 available in 3 Shades.
4) If you’re not quite ready to go bare on your eyes, apply a primer on the lids to keep shadows on longer and smooth away oil (or moisture) from “greasy” lids to avoid creasing. Then choose longwear products like Make Up For Ever Aqua Cremes or Aqua Liners. Go waterproof if you don’t mind having to use waterproof eye makeup remover AND still perhaps wake up with a ring of dark residue around your eyes.
If you’re like me - and you’d rather not wake up looking like a raccoon or the girl waking up on the “day after the night before” (Wild Par-tay- without having actually enjoyed such a night *Ehem* [geek alert]..) Then stick with your regular eyeliner and shadows and just set well with a Translucent Setting Powder (Laura Mercier’s is still my top pick, closely followed by MAC Pro Setting powder- used sparingly, to prevent smudging before applying your fave mascara).
Always use a pigmented powder that suits your skin tone on larger flat surfaces of the face, to finish. If you use a Translucent Setting powder all over, it could leave you looking ashy or pale on- cam’ because of how its ingredients bounce light back.
5) A touch of blush and/or Bronzing powder on your cheeks and whatever left on your brush on your “peaks”. (Apply from the temples, under the cheekbones for subtle lifted or a sculpted cheek look, a touch on the nose, and a dab on the chin- think ‘W’ on the face or think ’3′ on either side using the flat part of a Face/Powder Brush- usually the biggest one in a set that’s not the blush brush IF you need a bit more of a “slimming” effect).
Last, but not the least, (and even quicker if you go au naturale on your lids!) add a pop of bright stuff and perk up your entire face with a Summer-hued Lip Tint or Lipstick. (Blot with tissue once and reapply for longer wear). I’m currently loving the reds and corals. Check out my All about Lips post next!
Meanwhile, here’s a quick peek at my 5-minute “weekend no-makeup face”. I define my brows & add mascara later (if I could get away from my thick glasses and my eyes get along with my contact lenses again. And if we’re going somewhere other than the local grocery store. I still have a tan from the year in the Philippines but my face is now lighter than my body (especially compared to my arms and legs). So I’d normally wear a slightly warmer-toned shade of Tinted Moisturizer (Laura Mercier’s Sand) than my current skin tone, just to blend and meet halfway a bit more than to go without or lighter, and look like the photos below.
Side note: I did the above steps in our dark room between playing House with mini-me, Noelle. You should see the toys on the bed next to me off cam! #Behind the scenes with a “glam” makeup artist mama. Always do your makeup in a well-lit room, preferrably with natural lighting like by a bright window. #ProTip.