Are you going with EYES or LIPS this Party Season? Good thing there’ll be plenty of gatherings to go to. Wear pretty, bold lips to one party and smoky eyes to the other, if you can’t decide!
I’m still feeling under the weather, so I will spare you from my “Before” photos and move on to the rest of the face.
Note: I was using my fantastic new Glamcor Lights in my otherwise, very yellow lit kitchen, and kept experimenting with their positioning, so please excuse the changes you’re bound to notice from one photo to another, for now. I’ll talk more about my Light Kit in another post. I LOVE them!
To create a sophisticated All About Lips look:
1. Choose a luminous foundation, such as Laura Mercier’s Creme Silk or Tinted Moisturizer (Luminous), Smashbox Sheer Focus Tinted Moisturizer SPF15, Stila Sheer Color Tinted Moisturizer SPF20, NARS Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer SPF30 or NARS Sheer Glow. Create a flawless face using -a Primer (ex Smashbox Photo Finish More Than Primer), Base (Foundation/Tinted Moisturizer/BBCream), Concealer, and Setting Powder- mostly to set concealed areas). And ignore my red hoodie.
2. Apply an Eyeshadow Base like NARS ProPrime Eyeshadow base, Laura Mercier Eye Basic (if your lids are uneven toned) or Urban Decay Primer Potion. For the eyeshadows, I used 3 shades from the Sephora+Pantone Universe Shades of Nature Palette. (Shades #14-1312 all over lids as base, #17-1227 along lash line as seen above, and #19-0916 along upper and lower outer corners. Plus a black shadow and liquid/gel liner between lashes and winged out, as seen below).
3. Fill in your Brows. I used Paul & Joe Brow Pencil 02- which is a dual ended pencil, with one end slightly lighter than the other in shade. Tips: Remember to fill in brows with short strokes, blending through with a brow brush afterwards, and “lift” the peaks/arch of your brows. If your eyes are red rimmed, give them an eye brightening look with a flesh pencil in the waterline. I used Laura Mercier’s Flawless Pencil. Last, apply False Lashes! If you’ve curled them and applied mascara and they still look virtually non-existent like mine, go for false lashes! (See the difference it makes when it’s all put together, below?) You’d want to keep your eyes neutral but well-defined, to balance with a stronger lip color. Tip: Choose one (1) main focal point- in this case, your lips.
4. Sculpted Cheeks. I used Make Up For Ever Sculpting Kit to contour my cheeks (just under the cheekbones and down either side of my nose line as shown below). Apply a soft blush like Vasanti Cosmetics Sun Peached Glow brightening mineral powder, or NYX creme blush in Boho Chic (a soft pink). I used MAC creme blush in Uncommon- a neutral Beige.
5. If you’re not keen on the dewy look, opt for a polished matte base like NARS sheer Matte Foundation, or Benefit Hello Flawless. Or set your base with a translucent powder, finishing with a powder in a shade that suits your skin tone. Finally, choose your lipstick shade. I went with OCC Lip Tar in Strumpet, after lining my lips with a lipliner that was slightly darker, so I could blend the line into the color more easily. Berry or Red lips are so on trend this season. For another kiss and wine-glass-proof color, try MUFE’s Aqua Rouge #8, in Iconic Red. It’s stunning! Or try: Shiseido Lacquer rouge, a vibrant red inspired by Japanese Lacquer-ware Tips: To avoid working on dry lips (like mine), apply a lip balm or conditioner on your lips while you’re doing the rest of your face in prep for your lip color. Reapply color after blotting with 1-ply tissue, and repeat once or twice to create a longer lasting finish. (No need to do this trick with Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics’ Lip Tar!)
If you have any questions about application tips or shade/product recommendations, let me know, please. What shade of lip color are you going with for your Christmas Party?
Next on MakeupByMerry, Holiday 2012 Looks: Eyes.