Ok, so the title was cheesy… I can’t think of a way out of it so let’s just jump into this!
If you remember what my old profile photo (avatar pic below) looked like, you might know that I love violet hued lips. My everyday lips are pretty nude, with just a tinted lip balm on. My current one was last December’s Birthday gift from Sephora. The mini Sugar Rose Tinted Lip Treatment from fresh cosmetics. I usually focus on my eyes and love nude lips. But when I go bold, I love red and purple lip shades.
The collage of Spring Summer lip colors on the SS 2013 Trend report, that I wrote about last month, shows that these shades are pretty huge this coming season. I Love this:
If you’re looking for a new shade of lip color for a special occasion, or just to update your makeup wardrobe with, there are so many pretty shades in the market starting from tinted balms, sheer lipsticks to the highly pigmented variety. From my makeup kit, here are some of my top mauve hued lipsticks:
- Annabelle Twistup in Royale $9.95 from drugstores, WalMart. I recently discovered this product and Canadian brand and previously wrote about these easy-to-wear lipliner and lipsticks in one. It’s very sheer but can be layered on to create a very pretty and fashionable purple. I have just a sheer coat on in the photo above, where I’m holding the Twistup by my lips.
- Inglot is a fairly new (turning 7) makeup brand. Especially new here in Canada. I love this deep plum #66 lipstick with fine silver glitter through it. It’s the pic on the top right corner of the collage, above. I bought this and a lovely nude shade #44 from their boutique in Montreal. I hope they open a branch here in Toronto, soon!! Meanwhile you can check out their products on the US site and them email their Canadian office at email@example.com, send them a private message on their Facebook page, or call them at 514.341.9333 ext.222 to place orders. Purchases of $100+ ship for free, otherwise, I believe it’s $5 shipping to Ontario. Fantastic product quality from eyeshadows, lipsticks, blush, foundation, skincare and nail polish!
- My top pick: L’Oreal Paris Colour Riche Caresse in Violet Chiffon. It’s so pretty and spring like! So smooth and creamy to apply. 50% less wax than traditional lipstick. I hear it’s the world’s bestselling hydrating and color rich lipstick. So rich yet light weight and caring for the lips. Love it! Available at SDM, Rexall, or WalMart $10.99
- Joe Fresh Beauty lipstick in Baie Sauvage (Wild Berries). Love this as is, with a creamy light gloss to it, or blotted matte. $8.00 I reviewed it here, along with other Joe Fresh Beauty products last June 2012.
- MAC Violetta $18.00 (less 40% for MAC Pro members) is more of a bright pink than a violet but it has a cool undertone that gives it that mauve look. Very similar to the less pinky..
- NYX #520 Pandora lipstick which I bought in the Philippines. I believe they’re around $10.00 each here. I get my NYX products from Pacific Mall or Designer Cosmetics, in the Cumberland Terraces under path at Bay and Bloor, near Zara’s bottom floor.
- Last, but not least..A favorite of many of my past bridal clients, especially when topped with Lip Plumper in Pearl Pink $30: Laura Mercier Stick Gloss (Lip balm, lipstick and gloss in one) in Purple Haze. $22.00 at Holt Renfrew and Sephora. Gorge with smoky eyes!
Which of these mauves and plums is your fave? Do you have one that I don’t have here that you absolutely love? Do tell! Since I did the photos already, I completely forgot to include my new Maybelline Colour Sensation lipstick in Mauve Mania! I’ll use it on one of my Valentine’s Looks post, to show it to you.
Have fun choosing a new lipstick shade that you can wear daily, or for that special date this coming Valentine’s day!
Mauve Closer: Violet Valentine's Lips,